Making a Complaint


Home » Digital Surgery » Reception and Enquiries » Making a Complaint

Complaints Procedure

Making a Complaint

Most problems can be sorted out quickly and easily, often at the time they arise with the person concerned and this may be the approach you try first.

Where you are not able to resolve your complaint in this way, we will arrange for our Complaints Coordinator to contact you to see if they can help resolve.  If resolution is not achieved, they will advise on how to make a formal complaint, and you should doso as soon as possible after the event and ideally within a few days, as this helps us to establish what happened more easily.  In any event, this should be:

  • Within 12 months of the incident.
  • Or within 12 months of you becoming aware of the matter

giving as much detail as you can.

If you are a registered patient, you can complain about your own care.  You are unable to complain about someone else’s treatment without their written authority.  See the separate section in this leaflet.

If required, we will provide you with a separate complaint form to register your complaint, this includes a third-party authority form to enable a complaint to be made by someone else.  The Complaints Coordinator will arrange for you to receive the form as required.  You can provide this in your own format if you wish providing this covers all the necessary aspects.

Send your written complaint to:

Feedback Team
Pinfold Surgery
Pinfold Lane
Leeds LS26 9AA

Or e-mail to or contact form

What we do next

We look to settle complaints as soon as possible.

We will acknowledge receipt within 3 working days and aim to have resolved the matter within 30 days.  You may then receive a formal reply in writing, or you may be invited to meet with the person(s) concerned to attempt to resolve the issue.  If the matter is likely to take longer than this, we will let you know, and keep you informed as the investigation progresses.

When looking into a complaint we attempt to see what happened and why, to see if there is something we can learn from this and make it possible for you to discuss the issue with those involved if you would like to do so.

When the investigations are complete your complaint will be determined, and a final response sent to you.

Where your complaint involves more than one organisation (e.g., social services) we will liaise with that organisation so that you receive one coordinated reply.  We may need your consent to do this. Where your complaint has been sent initially to an incorrect organisation, we may seek your consent to forward this to the correct person to deal with.

The final response letter will include details of the result of your complaint and also your right to escalate the matter further if you remain dissatisfied with the response.

Complaining on Behalf of Someone Else

We keep to the strict rules of medical and personal confidentiality.  If you wish to make a complaint and are not the patient involved, we will require the written consent of the patient to confirm that they are unhappy with their treatment and that we can deal with someone else about it. 

Please ask the Feedback Team for the Complaints Form which contains a suitable authority for the patient to sign to enable the complaint to proceed.

Where the patient is incapable of providing consent due to illness or accident it may still be possible to deal with the complaint.  Please provide the precise details of the circumstances which prevent this in your covering letter.

Please note that we are unable to discuss any issue relating to someone else without their express permission, which must be in writing, unless the circumstances above apply.

We may still need to correspond directly with the patient or may be able to deal directly with the third party.  This will depend on the wording of the authority provided.

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome:

If local procedures have been exhausted and the complaint has not been resolved, complainants have the right to take the matter to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO).  The PHSO is responsible for reviewing complaints about the NHS where these have not been resolved locally.  The contact details for PHSO are as follows: –

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower

Tel:    0345 0154033


If local procedures have been exhausted and the complaint has not been resolved, complainants have the right to take the matter to the ICB if the complaint relates to a Primary care provider (General Practitioner, Dentist, Pharmacist or Ophthalmic services)  The ICB is responsible for reviewing complaints about the primary care services where these have not been resolved locally.  The contact details are as follows: –

Complaints to ICB regarding Primary care complaints


Telephone: 01924 552 150

In writing: Complaints Team, West Yorkshire Integrated Care Board, White Rose House
West Parade, Wakefield WF1 1LT

Monday to Friday 9 to 5 p.m. excluding bank holidays.

If you require any support taking your concerns further, you can contact the Independent Complaints Advisory Service on 0845 120 3734.